Everton share the spoils with Brighton at Goodison Park following a stalwart defensive performance and a stroke of late misfortune. 

Dyche’s side saw a slight change to the side that saw victory in the Carabao Cup against Burnley in midweek, Onana was unable to participate due to a slight calf injury and was replaced by Idrissa Gueye in the middle of the park. Only 7 minutes in to their 3rd match in a week, Everton had turned a whirlwind start into a massive opening goal. Dwight McNeil and Dominic Calvert-Lewin linked up before sending McNeil down the wing, he whipped in and found Mykolenko who had ran the length of the pitch. The Ukrainian sent a strike whizzing towards goal which was saved, and then his follow-up effort took a big deflection and found its way into the back of the net. Mykolenko might have been the most shocked man on the pitch, but his form of late was rewarded with his first goal of the season and his first ever at Goodison Park, and Everton lead 1-0 early in the match.

Following the goal Brighton would begin a game long theme of controlling the ball for vast spells of the match. It only took ten minutes after Mykolenko’s opener, and Brighton seemingly had the equalizer. Pascal Gross swung in a free kick that was volleyed home skillfully by Lewis Dunk, but Everton were spared after a lengthy VAR check determined that he was offside. The 25th minute saw a big chance for Everton, as Calvert-Lewin was brought down on the edge of the area, presenting a dangerous free kick that maybe could’ve been more if the referee had blown advantage for Doucoure who was through on goal. Garner stepped up and fizzed his effort over the bar, ending the spell of danger.

The rest of the first half was much of the same for Brighton, controlling the ball but finding it extremely difficult to find joy in Everton’s final third. As the second half began Joao Pedro was brought on in an attempt to find more support for Ferguson up top. Everton however did not budge from the Brighton pressure, even as they brought on Ansu Fate and Mahmoud Dahoud. Around this time near the 70th minute is when it all started to get a bit exacerbated from Everton, as tired legs began to show. Ashley Young struggled to keep up with the pacey Mitoma on the wing, and it looked like the midfield began to tire out as well after an industrious performance.

Despite Brighton controlling nearly 80% of the ball, Everton seemingly had all the quality moments, and nearly found a second in the 74th minute. After struggling for a majority of the match, Jack Harrison did well to work the ball down the wing and inside to Dwight McNeil. McNeil cut in and fired near post with his left foot but unfortunately could not find the target from just outside the box in a moment of relief from Brighton. Despite the greater quality of Everton chances, it would unfortunately be Brighton who struck late.

Mitoma beat his man down the wing as he had done throughout the match, got into the box and fired in a cross that cannoned off Ashley Young and somehow looped in over Pickford from an impossible angle much to the disbelief of Everton supporters. Following the goal, Dyche would make changes late bringing on Beto and Nathan Patterson, but could only weather the storm in the end earning a point in the 1-1 draw. On a day where Everton had only 20% of the ball, Dyche will likely be pleased that Everton accumulated more Xg, essentially shut down everything Brighton wanted to do, and were a horribly unfortunate own goal away from 3 points against a high quality side. Nonetheless, it is a quality point without Onana and on a short week with tired legs.

Next up for Everton is a trip to South London to face Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park.


About The Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Verified by MonsterInsights