Everton Women succumbed to their second consecutive defeat this WSL season when they faced Leicester City away at the King Power Stadium. The blue’s are yet to pick up a point in this campaign.

Justine Vanhaevermaet, Emma Bissell, and Heather Payne received their first WSL starts for the Club as three changes were made to the lineup from the defeat on the opening weekend against Brighton & Hove Albion.

Numerous opportunities were made by the Blue’s, including Justine Vanhaevermaet’s saved penalty. Emma Bissell, who was making her maiden start for the Blues, showcased her talent and twice had the ball in the net, but the assistant’s flag disallowed both of those attempts for offside.

Within the first minute, summer signing, Martina Piemonte came close to giving Everton Women the lead. The Italian was given a yard of room outside Leicester’s box and unleashed a strong shot towards the left side of the goal. Leicester City keeper, Janina Leitzig quickly responded denying her effort.

Eight minutes later, the forward was once more involved in the action. A tenacious Leicester defence stopped both of Piemonte’s attempts after  Heather Payne, who was also making her first league start for the Blue’s, dispossessed the opposition in their box.

A penalty for Everton was awarded during injury time in the first half and the Toffee’s thought they had their chance. Piemonte was pushed to the ground, whilst Hanna Bennison swung a free kick into the box. Without hesitation the referee awarded the penalty to the Toffee’s. Justine Vanhaevermaet stood up and aimed to place her shot in the left side of the goal. However, her shot was saved by Leitzig.

Everton entered the second half full of confidence, dominating Leicester despite the penalty miss.

Lucy Hope cleverly intercepted a pass and launched an opportunity for Everton. Hope found Martina Piemonte on the edge of the box, who then passed the ball to Emma Bissell on her right who broke into the box and shot at the near post, with Leitzig saving her attempt.

Hanna Bennison contributed to the creation of another excellent opportunity for her team on the 58th minute. Martina Piemonte controlled the ball after it was whipped in from the left by the swedish international and struck it. The Italian’s effort painfully missed the far post.

Leicester City took the lead after 69 minutes. Sam Tierney’s interception allowed Leicester the opportunity to burst on the break, and the defender played Lena Petermann through on goal, slotting the ball past Emily Ramsey to give the home team the lead.

The Toffee’s continued to search for an equaliser but despite their dominance throughout the match, Everton left the King Power Stadium without a point.

Everton Women are back in action on Wednesday night when they face Manchester City at Walton Hall Park in the group stage of the Continental Cup. Kick off is at 7pm and is available to stream on Kick.

About The Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Verified by MonsterInsights